Control Stress And Stay Focused
You got the audition …great!…this might be THE ONE! …You’re perfect for the part, it taps into all your strengths as a performer..it’s in the bag! Well …if you don’t dry heave as you slate your name. The stress and pressure of the audition process can drain all the talent out of your body in a flash, reducing you to a deer in the headlights. So how to you control the stress monster?
The way to control stress and prevent being paralyzed by fear is to begin filling your artistic skills tool box with techniques that help you stay focused and cope with the stress.
A tool box filled with stress reduction techniques is the gift that keeps on giving when nailing an audition means getting the job.
Self-Talk And Concentration
A major problem at auditions is a wandering mind. When the mind wanders it cripples our abilities and drains self-confidence. The self talk and inner dialogue we hear going on inside our head or tensions felt throughout our body are distractions that keep us from being on the present moment and not in control of what we want to carry out,…a killer audition! So what do you do? There are many useful strategies that hep us gain a sense control in a stressful situation. Relaxation techniques, mediation and cconscious breathingare three ways to relax, control body and mind tension allowing you to take command of your creative expression.
The fears and tensions felt before an audition make “sense”, it’s normal for you to become nervous before a performance that may result in a very personal rejection .Learning to become aware and acknowledge the feelings is the fist step in increasing your ability to stay focused..When you ignore the obvious sensations of nerves; dry mouth, shaking ,clammy hands etc. it’s as if your car is on fire and you’re searching for a good radio station! Forget the radio and put out the flames!!!
How To Stay Focused: Control Your Thoughts
Divide the problems you’re experiencing into 3 categories this will help put things into perspective.
- Facts About Thoughts
- Control Fear
- My Energy
Facts About Thoughts
- THOUGHTS ARE NOT REAL, SO DON’T REACT TO THEM
- ALLOW YOURSELF TO REACT NATURALLY TO YOUR
THOUGHTS, THEN MANAGE THEM.
- BE SPECIFIC ABOUT WHAT YOUR NEGATIVE THOUGHTS, DON’T GENERALIZE. THEN PUT IT IN PERSPECTIVE: WHAT’S THE WORST THAT WILL HAPPEN, WHAT’S THE BEST, WHAT’S MOST LIKELY TO HAPPEN?
- NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS, YOU’LL STILL BE OK
- VIEW AUDITIONS AS A CHALLENGE, NOT AS AN EXPECTATION.
- NOTICE WHAT YOU ARE SAYING TO YOURSELF, IS IT HELPFUL?
- PUT OFF WORRY UNTIL AFTER THE AUDITION
- THINK: WHAT CAN YOU DO TO MAKE THIS SITUATION BETTER?
- IT’S NORMAL TO BE NERVOUS.
- LABEL AND NOTICE THE LEVEL OF YOUR ANXIETY (1-10)
- BE SPECIFIC WITH WHAT YOU FEAR
- ACCEPTANCE OF FEAR CAN DECREASE THE INTENSITY OF
YOUR REACTION TO IT.
- HOW DO YOU WANT TO FEEL? START TO CREATE THAT FEELING
- DON’T THINK ABOUT THE NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES.
- FLOAT WITH THE FEAR AS IF IT’S A CLOUD, DON’T FIGHT IT.
- ENERGY GIVES STRENGTH AND POWER TO PERFORMANCES
- DON’T ALLOW INCREASED ENERGY TO THROW YOU
- IT’S OK TO FEEL NERVOUS.
- YOU CAN FUNCTION WHILE HAVING FEELINGS AND
- PICTURE ENERGY AS AN OCEAN WAVE WATCH IT RISE AND FALL
- ALL YOU’RE FEELING IS INCREASED ENERGY DON’T LABEL IT NEGATIVE;IT’S JUST MORE ENERGY
So give it a try, get to it…start sharpening those tools and …
Break A Leg!